Canada Day 2019 – Our 152nd Birthday!
With the first long weekend of the summer quickly approaching and just around the corner, here are some of the best ways to celebrate our country’s birthday!
Oh Canada, our national birthday is coming up July 1st when we turn an older and maybe a bit wiser 152, and it just does not get more in-the-heart-of-it-all than at Canada Place and in the centre of downtown Vancouver (just a 15-20 minute walk away from the heart of it all). Like the ultimate birthday party celebration for over 250,000 fellow Canadian citizens, fans, family and friends, enjoy live music, food, fireworks and more at all the free events and venues spanning five city blocks — One of the largest celebrations outside Ottawa, our nation’s capital.
Trivia question: Which province in Canada is Ottawa located in?
Festivities will be happening almost all day from 930am to 1050pm
Called Canada Place for a reason, this iconic landmark is home to an award-winning day of events.
Some of the highlights during the celebrations include:
- Performances on the Main Stage in front of Canada Place start at 12pm with the Coast Salish Welcome (some of our country’s indigenous people, and moving into Dirty Radio, Blonde Diamond, Bitterly Divine, Marieme and the 530pm headliner: Delhi 2 Dublin
- Citizenship Ceremony at the Vancouver Convention Centre to welcome 60 new Canadians
- Canadian Forces Zone featuring interactive exhibits honouring the Canadian Army, Navy and Air Force
- A Picnic Plaza with family-friendly activities and picnic tables to enjoy food truck fare
- The Kids’ Zone and Coast Capital Savings Youth Zone featuring activities and live entertainment
- The ultimate, simultaneous Fireworks Show lights up the night at 1030pm from not one, but two floating barges in Coal Harbour and Dundarave in West Vancouver (just look across the Burrard Inlet). Watch from these locations or enjoy prime viewing in the Viewing Zone at Canada Place for $15; children 5 and under are free.
So if you’ve got no other plans this weekend and you’re looking for a reason or reasons to celebrate, why not come and stay with us and take in all the fun and excitement that this first long weekend of summer brings!